A twist on the classic sausage and mash with this delicious sausage and red onion gravy pie topped with cheesy sweet potato mash.
1 x pack HECK 10 Pork Chipolatas
400ml beef stock
60ml red wine
1 large red onion, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
1/5 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
4 large sweet potatoes
60 cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and chop the potatoes in to chunks. Add to a large pot of cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for around 10mins until knife tender, then drain in a colander. Let them sit and steam for 5 or so mins before mashing, just to allow some moisture to escape.
- Mash the potatoes with butter and milk. Stir in the cheese, then generously season, mashing a little more if needed.
- Meanwhile, at the same time, in a large pan over medium heat add a drizzle of oil and add the sausages. Fry until browned all over and cooked all the way through. Remove from pan and leave the fat.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry until they begin to soften and pick up colour. Lower heat slightly and gently caramelise,, stirring occasionally so they don't stick to the pan (15mins or so). Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter and bring the heat back up to medium. Stir in the flour until a paste forms. Pour in the red wine and stir until the paste reforms. Gradually add in the beef stock, continuously stirring to ensure no lumps form.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme and salt & pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 15mins until it's nice and thick, then stir through the sausages. Pour into an oven dish and allow to rest for 5-10mins so a 'skin' forms over top.
- Add the mash on top of the sausages. Starting from the outside and not pushing down too hard or the gravy layer will become uneven. Use a fork to rough the top.
- Bake in the oven at 200C/390F for 20mins, or until nice and golden on top. Allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve up and enjoy!