Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 40 -45 mins
Serves 4 - 6
9 Heck Pork Sausages – cut in half lengthwise and then each length cut into 4
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion finely chopped.
3 -4 carrots (275g) topped and tailed, cut into small chunks.
2 garlic cloves, crushed.
1 tsp dried thyme or mixed herbs
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
600ml beef stock using only ½ a stock cube.
50g frozen peas
3 level tbsp beef gravy granules
1.4kg potatoes, peeled
40g butter or spread.
4 -5 tbsp milk
35g grated mature cheddar cheese.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the chopped onion and diced carrots, fry for 3 – 4 minutes before adding the garlic fry a further minute.
- Add the chopped sausages and cook a further 8 – 10 minutes, stirring to slightly brown the sausage pieces, add the Worcester sauce and beef stock. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Heat the oven 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas Mark 5.
- Add the beef gravy granules to the sausage mixture to thicken slightly, then add the peas. Pour the mixture into ovenproof dish 23cm x 30cm.
- Drain and mash the potatoes, add the butter and milk until smooth, season, and top over the sausage cottage pie base. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown.