Sausage Bao Buns with Pickled Slaw
Preparation Time: 20 minutes and refrigeration time of 3 hours for pickling the vegetables.
1 pack Heck Pork Sausages
2 carrots, topped and tailed, grated
1 small courgette or ½ a large one, grated
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp warm water
¼ tsp salt and sugar
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
6 ready prepared Bao Buns
Garnish: Radishes, fresh coriander, and micro herbs
- Place the grated carrot and courgette in a container with a lid.
- Dissolve the salt and sugar in 1 tbsp of warm water, add the rice wine vinegar and pour over the vegetables, cover container with lid and chill for at least 3 hours before serving. The vegetables will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Oven cook the sausages 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. For 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Remove sausages from the oven and coat with the Hoisin sauce, return to the oven and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Cut the sausages into diagonal slices.
- Warm the buns according to manufactures instructions.
- Open the buns and fill with vegetable slaw. Thread 4 sausages slices onto a cocktail stick and lay over the slaw. Garnish with radish slices, fresh coriander, and micro herbs.
Cooks tip: A drizzle of hoisin sauce would add extra flavour to the buns. The remaining sausage slices could also be served alongside the buns.