Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1 pack Heck Pork Sausages
2 tsp sunflower oil
85g unsalted butter
6 dessert apples
85g soft brown sugar
350g puff pastry.
Flour for rolling
- Fry the sausages with the sunflower oil over a medium heat approximately 10 - 12 minutes in a 23cm heavy-based frying pan with a handle that is ovenproof. Remove sausages from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan, add the sugar and when the mixture starts to turn brown, remove from the heat.
- Peel the apples, quarter, and core. Put the apples in the pan with the butter and sugar and cook over a medium heat until the sugar is a deep caramel, this will take approximately 25 minutes.
- In the meantime roll out the pastry until it is 3mm thick (height of a £1 coin), and cut a circle of 26cm, using a plate as a guide. Lightly prick all over with a fork, place on a baking sheet and chill while you are cooking the apples.
- Cut the sausages in half lengthwise and rearrange the apples with the sausages to form a fan shape in the frying pan
- Preheat the oven 190°C/170°C Fan/ Gas Mark 5. Place the pastry over the apples and cook in the oven for 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Allow the pan to cool for approximately 30 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the dish and inverting it onto a large serving plate.
- Serve with Crème Fraiche or vanilla ice-cream.