Prep time: 40 mins + 2 hr resting time for the flatbreads - Cook time: 20 mins Serves 2-3
Loaded flatbreads are simply fantastic for all kinds of occasions! They’re a much-welcome dinner after a long day, but also great for sharing at a dinner party - and, in smaller portions, they’re fantastic to use as a starter ahead of a tasty meal. For our flatbreads we’re using the Meat Free Burgers in combination with homemade basil pesto & roasted cherry tomatoes, for the ultimate burst of flavour!
For the flatbread:
300g bread flour
1 tsp salt
4g dry active yeast
200ml lukewarm water
A little olive oil
For the pesto:
2 packs fresh basil (60 g)
50g pine nuts, toasted
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp crushed walnuts
2-3 cloves of roasted garlic
½ tsp salt flakes
Juice of ½ lemon
A little water
For the toppings:
2 Meat Free Burgers
300g cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt flakes
Fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp pine nuts
Black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine strong white bread flour, salt and dry active yeast. Create a well in the middle of the flour mix and pour in the lukewarm water.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the ingredients to combine. Once it becomes too sticky to stir, switch to using your hands. On a floured surface, knead the dough with your hands for about 2-3 minutes or until it's surface is smooth.
- Roll the dough into a ball, place it back into the large mixing bowl and brush with a little olive oil. Cover the bowl with cling film or a clean kitchen towel and place it in a warm, dark place for 2 hrs.
- Push the air out of the risen dough, then remove it from the bowl, divide it in two parts and gently knead each half on a lightly floured surface for 1 minute.
- Using your hands shape your flatbreads, it can be rustic - that’s half the charm!
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and - once hot - place the dough inside, one flatbread at a time. Watch until the dough begins to bubble and rise, then flip and repeat on the other side. Continue flipping until your flatbread has got a good colour on both sides.
- To prepare your toppings, place your cherry tomatoes into an oven proof dish, drizzle with oil & sprinkle with salt. Then roast in the preheated oven at 200C for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and the skins begin to burst.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto: Place all ingredients for the pesto into a food processor and process until smooth. Add small amounts of water until your pesto has the desired texture.
- Whilst the pesto is blending, fry your heck burgers in a little oil until golden on both sides. Then cut each burger patty into bite-size chunks.
- Spread the pesto mix across both flatbreads, then top with the roasted cherry tomatoes and the burgers. Garnish with pine nuts and fresh basil leaves, then sprinkle with a little black pepper and you’re ready to dig in!
|per 100g||per person|
|of which Saturates||2.4g||16g|
|of which Sugars||1.4g||9.3g|