Preparation time: 1 hour, plus chilling time
Serves 6 - 8
1 pack Heck Pork Sausages
2 tsp sunflower oil
275g Focaccia, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
500g red currant jelly
200ml cold water
50g butter or spread
50g plain flour
450ml semi – skimmed milk
1 tsp English mustard
100g Red Leicester cheese
1200g potatoes, peeled.
165g cream cheese
Decorate with chopped pistachio nuts and fresh redcurrants.
- Fry the sausages in 1 tbsp of sunflower oil over a medium heat until golden brown approximately 13 – 15 minutes, remove from the pan.
- Put the red currant jelly and water into a pan and dissolve the jelly. Place the cut Focaccia Into the trifle bowl. Once the jelly has melted allow to cool slightly before pouring over the focaccia.
- Reserving 2 ½ sausages for the top decoration cut 3 of the remaining sausages into 1/4s lengthwise and the ½ sausage in half. Arrange around the trifle dish. Leave to chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, add the mustard, and gradually add the milk to combine, whisking to ensure there are no lumps. Add in the cheese and allow to melt. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before pouring over the base. Leave to chill for 2 hours.
- Prepare the topping. Slice the potatoes and cook in slightly salted water until soft, drain and mash with the cream cheese and a little milk, the potatoes do not want to be too stiff. Cool before adding ½ of the mash potato over the sauce. The remainder place in a piping bag and pipe rosettes around the top.
- Cut the 2 remaining sausages in half, so that there are 5 to decorate the top, place a cocktail stick into each sausage at the base and stand upright towards the centre of the trifle. Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts and fresh redcurrants.