This light version of bangers and mash is a great choice if you don't want to give up your favourites but still want to get in shape for summer. Cauliflower and beans make a fantastic mash thatâ€™s loaded with fibre â€“ and counts towards your 5-a-day.
6 HECK Chicken Italia Sausages
1 red or brown onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1tbsp fresh thyme, rosemary or tarragon, chopped
125ml reduced-salt hot chicken or vegetable stock
400g cauliflower florets
400g can cannellini beans in water, drained and rinsed
Zest ½ lemon
1tsp Dijon mustard
- Spray a large frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook for 5 mins until deep golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 mins before adding the tomatoes. Cook for 3 mins until the tomatoes have cooked down.
- Add the herbs and stock, season with freshly ground black pepper and bring to the boil. Add the sausages to the pan, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 mins until the gravy has reduced.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the cauliflower and boil gently for 5 mins until just tender. Add the cannellini beans and cook for 2 mins. Drain well and return to the pan. Add the lemon zest, mustard and season with freshly ground black pepper, then mash until smooth.
- Serve the mash topped with the sausages and tomato gravy.