Episode 2 of our cook up with kids series we're making Piggy Sausage Rolls
6 x HECK 97% sausages
20g of flour (any will do)
1 pack of ready-made puff pastry
- Line a baking tray with baking paper & preheat oven 200 degrees C
- In a mixing bowl, squeeze out the sausage meat from the skin & mix all the meat together.
- In a separate bowl, crack the eggs into a bowl. Beat the eggs with a folk so the yolk and whites combine. We will be using this egg wash a bit like glue!
- Sprinkle some flour onto the table/work surface that is in front of you.
- Roll out the pastry sheets and divide into 4 or 6 rectangular sheets depending on how big you would like your sausage rolls. Make sure to leave 1 sheet for your decorative piggy features!
- Working with one piece of puff pastry, spoon the sausage mixture down one side of the pastry, so it looks like the shape of a sausage.
- Using an egg brush, brush the other side of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Roll the pastry around the sausage mixture, sealing the pastry on either side of the sausage mix.
- Repeat this process with the other pieces of pastry to make your other sausage rolls!
- Using small cutters or a sharp knife, cut out 4 or 6 (depending on how many rolls you have in front of you) oval shapes. These will be used to make a piggy snout. Make 8 or 12 triangles. These will be used to make ears. Finally make 4 or 6 strips which will be used for the tails.
- On each oval, use a cocktail stick to make 2 nostril holes.
- Brush the top of the sausage rolls some more of the egg wash and stick your piggy facial features down.
- Brush the added features with some more egg wash. Repeat with all of the sausage rolls until you have 4 or 6 little piggy’s!
- Place the rolls on your pre prepped baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn your oven down to 180 degrees C for a further 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Your piggy’s are ready to eat!
- Enjoy hot or cold with a dollop of your favourite sauce.