PrepTime: 5mins - Cooking Time: 40mins - Serves: 3
Sausage and mash is one of those traditional comforting dishes that takes you right back to your childhood, but this vegan version will knock the socks off any bangers and mash you’ve had before!
- 1 pack HECK! Meat-Free Sausages
- 4 x potatoes chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 25g of vegan butter
- 450g of vegetable stock
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 200ml of vegan red wine
- 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- Place your diced potatoes into a large pan of cold water. Place over a high heat & bring to the boil. When bubbling, reduce to a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until they are soft to touch with a folk.
- To begin the gravy, grab another pan. Melt the butter & add the oil. Then add the onions, frying off for a few minutes until coated in the butter. Add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Reduce the heat to medium and place a lid on top. Leave to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- You will need a frying pan now. Add a drop of oil & place over a medium to high heat. Add your sausages to the pan and fry for 10 minutes, turning occasionally for an even browning.
- In your gravy pan, add the flour, wine & vinegar and cook for a further couple of minutes, stirring often to prevent lumps. Now add the vegetable stock to the pan & bring to the boil. Season & then simmer for a further 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Remove sausages from the heat and set to one side.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan but no longer over the heat.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or a folk. Add the oil, and a little water gradually & then season with salt & pepper. Mash until ingredients are combined & free of lumps.
- Dish out the mashed potato, top with 2 sausages each, followed by some gravy.
|Nutritional Information||Per 100g||Per Portion|
|Of Which Saturates||1.0g||5.5g|
|Of Which Sugars||1.9g||11g|