This easy version of a classic Italian recipe will ensure everyone gets their 5 A DAY as well as a yummy and filling meal. You can make the Bolognese sauce in advance and freeze.
1 pack Heck Skinless Superior Sausages
2 tsp mild olive oil or sunflower oil
1 red onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
400g chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
100g cup or button chestnut mushrooms sliced
1 carrot finely chopped
1 courgette chopped
150ml reduced salt vegetable stock
300g - 350g dried spaghetti
pinch ground black pepper
- Heat a large frying pan and add 1 tsp of oil and the sausages, cook until lightly browned, 4 – 5 minutes, remove from the pan. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the spaghetti. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Cut each sausage into 4 diagonally and add back into the pan with the other ingredients.
- When the sauce has been cooking for 15 minutes add the chopped sausages and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Start to cook the spaghetti: Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the spaghetti and bring back to the boil. Stir well and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Season the bolognese sauce with pepper. Drain the spaghetti and serve with the sauce.
Tip 1: If you don't like one of the vegetables, swap it for another to get more of your 5 A DAY.
Tip 2: Use linguine, tagliatelle or any other pasta shapes instead of spaghetti.
Suitable for freezing (sauce only)