8 Heck Plump Pork & Apple sausages
1kg Vivaldi salad potatoes
A 500g pack of large shallots, quartered
400g carrots, thickly sliced
400ml dry cider
1 tablespoon of fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, chopped, plus extra to serve
½ x 25g pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Braeburn apple, cored and diced
A glug of olive oil
25g plain flour
200ml hot chicken stock (½ a stock cube)
Preheat your oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6.
1. Heat your olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or flameproof casserole. Fry your sausages until they’re golden brown then remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in simmering water until they’re tender. Drain well, lightly crush with a fork and leave to rest.
3. Drain all but one tablespoon of oil from the pan. Add the shallots and carrots then cook over a medium heat for five minutes until golden. Reduce the heat, sprinkle with flour and cook for two more minutes, stirring all the time.
4. Pour your cider and stock into the same pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the sauce becomes smooth, then simmer for five minutes while the sauce thickens. Add the browned sausages and fresh herbs, plus a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Mix your potatoes with the diced apple, season then spoon over the casserole. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
6. Finally, scatter with fresh thyme and serve with hunks of crusty bread.