Juicy Bratwurst sausage with fresh sauerkraut and a crispy potato rosti. Serves two, or double the quantities for a meal with friends.
2 Heck 97% sausages
1kg Charlotte, Vivaldi or Desiree potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1 crushed clove of garlic
Salt and black pepper
A glug of olive oil
A tablespoon of olive oil
1 thinly sliced onion
1 medium green cabbage, shredded
1 1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of apple cider
1/2 cup of water, or less for an extra tangy blend
1 teaspoon of salt
- The Rosti – Dry the grated potato with a clean tea towel to remove the moisture. Mix with the onion, garlic and herbs then season with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat a glug of olive oil in a heavy frying pan. Add a handful of your grated potato mixture then flatten the surface with a fish slice. Cook for ten minutes on each side until it’s golden brown all over. Keep the heat low so the rosti cooks evenly inside too.
- The Sauerkraut – Heat your oil in a pan then add the onion. Stir constantly until it softens and turns translucent.
- Add your cabbage, cider, vinegar, water, salt and caraway seeds then bring to the boil.
- Cover, reduce heat then simmer for 30-45 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Add a little water if it the cabbage gets too dry.
- Meanwhile, grill your sausages until they’re golden brown then serve everything together – a delicious combination of juicy, crisp and satisfying flavours.