Prep Time: 15 mins - Cook Time: 1 hour - Serves 6
Family dinners are sorted! A comforting cottage pie that both vegetarians & meat-eaters can enjoy thanks to our new vegan mince.
500g HECK Vegan mince
3 tbsp extra olive oil
3 diced white onions
1 stick celery
2 carrots, chopped
1.5 tbsp plain flour
2 bay leaves
1/2 sprig thyme
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
3 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
2-4 tsp cayenne pepper
300ml vegetable stock
100ml red wine
1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
200g grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Place a large pan of water on the hob to boil.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions until they begin to soften.
- Throw in the carrots, celery and garlic with the onions and fry for further 5 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in the water and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Remove veg from the pan and set aside in a bowl. Now add a splash of oil to the frying pan along with the mince and break up with a large spoon. Once the mince has browned off, add the cooked veg, thyme, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, red wine and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 mins.
- Check the potatoes are soft. Drain and mash with the butter and cheese.
- Remove the mince mixture from the hob.
- Check the wine has cooked off in the mince mixture and then begin to assemble in an oven-proof dish. Use the back of a fork to level the mash potato top.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins until top is golden brown & crisp.
- Remove and serve up with your favourite greens.
For an extra depth of flavour, we like to add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the mince mix.