Prep time: 20 minutes - Cook time: 30 minutes - Serves: 2-3
A springtime Italian dish, with added smokiness from our Smoky Heck Dog Sausages
4 Smoky Heck Dog sausages, chopped into large chunks
3 spring onions
2 garlic cloves
5-6 baby potatoes, chopped into quarters
1 tin chopped tomatoes
400ml veg or chicken stock (buy gluten free stock cubes if you want to make the recipe gluten free)
1-2 handful of peas
1 pack of asparagus, chopped in small chunks
4-5 trees of tender stem broccoli, chopped in half and leaves removed if needed
1-2 handfuls of Kale
4 tsp green pesto
Parmesan, grated on top of the soup
- Chop up the spring onions and garlic. Heat a pan with some oil in and add the white part of the spring onion and fry until soft. Add the garlic in.
- Add the chopped sausages and fry until golden. Add the chopped potatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Stir thoroughly and season to taste.
- Add the tender stem broccoli and cook for 1 minute, and then add the asparagus. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the peas and kale and mix together well.
- Finally, add the pesto and more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve with grated parmesan on top.
Always plunge green vegetables into hot soup/water/liquid, as it ensures they stay a bright green colour, rather than going a grey-green. It is important to add the veg in towards the end of the recipe as the soup will then look bright and colourful.
You don’t blitz minestrone, it is meant to be served as a ‘chunky’ soup with all the ingredients distinguishable.
|Nutritional information||Per 100g||Per portion|
|of which Saturates||3.0g||15g|
|of which Sugars||3.8g||19g|