Prep Time: 20mins - Cooking Time: 30mins - Serves 3
This is our take on a hearty Reduced Fat Sausage Casserole makes a wonderfully warming and filling dish, serve up with some warm crusty bread or rice. This dish is also great for freezing.
- 1 Pack Heck! Reduced Fat Pork Sausages
- 2 tbsp SunFlower Oil
- 6 Rashers Streaky Bacon (cut into 2.5cm)
- 2 Onions, (thinly sliced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tin (400g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin (400g) Butter Beans
- 300ml Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Muscovado Sugar
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 150ml Red Wine
- Black Pepper
- Heat 1tsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the Reduced Fat Pork Sausages gently for 10 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a large saucepan or a casserole dish and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in the frying pan until starting to brown and crisp and then add to the dish with the sausages.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until they start to soften, stirring often. You should have enough fat in the pan, but if not, add a little more oil. Add the garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes until the onions turn pale golden brown, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and cook together for a few seconds longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and herbs. Pour in the wine, or some water if you’re not using wine, and bring to a simmer.
- Tip the tomato mixture carefully into the pan with the sausages and bacon and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover the pan loosely with a lid and leave to simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Stir the beans into the casserole, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with rice or slices of rustic bread.
|Nutritional Information||Per 100g||
(2 Sausages Per Person)
|Of Which Saturates||0.8g||4.7g|
|Of Which Sugars||2.9g||17g|