Prep Time: 5 mins - Cook Time: 20 mins (8 mins for the pizza) - Serves 2
Meatballs and pizza really sums up Italian American food to me, and what better way to experience it on a pizza than combine the two. This pizza takes a classic Cheese ‘pie’ and adds fennel seeds and moorish pork Italia meatballs.
1 x 250g NYC Dough ball
X Gram American Marinara sauce
150g grated mozzarella
1 tsp fennel seeds
4 diced Basil leaves and freshly grated hard cheese to serve.
- In a bowl, add the fennel seeds, and Pork Italia, knead together until the seeds are combined, at this point being to form balls from the mince, this should yield around 8 2.5-3cm balls.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the meatballs on medium high until browned, lower the heat to medium until cooked through.
- Allow to cool and slice in half.
- Preheat your oven to 300c
- Stretch out the dough ball to 12”, add top with the marinara sauce and mozzarella, add the sliced meatballs flat side down. Cook at around 300c for around 8 minutes, with the flame on medium-low, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Stack the basil leaves on top of each other and roll them into a ‘tube’ slice into segments a few mm thick, once unrolled you should have even strands of basil perfect for sprinkling on the pizza.
- Once you’ve added the basil, take your favourite hard cheese (I like to use parmesan or pecorino), and generously grate it on top of the pizza, the heat of the toppings will melt the cheese slightly, slice and serve.
This recipe has been made for us by Mozzafella!
Mozzafella (Dan Hall) is a multi-award winning UK pizza chef, who operates pizza pop ups throughout Yorkshire, as well as being a brand ambassador for Ooni pizza ovens.
Winner Best Pizza Chef of the year 2021
Category winner; Best Pizza Chef of the year 2021
Winner Best pizzeria in England 2019
|Nutritional Information||Per 100g||Per Portion|
|of which Saturates||6.4g||19g|
|of which Sugars||0.9g||2.7g|